Monday, July 26, 2010

Dreaming Brownies....

Ok so maybe I shouldn't be admitting this but yes....I was dreaming of this brownie the other night and couldn't wait another day to make it!!  I found this recipe weeks ago and probably got some pretty crazy looks in the bookstore as I was drooling, and MAYBE making some funny noises over this recipe.  I've been thinking about it pretty much every day and finally after my dream I knew I couldn't wait any longer!! 




Anything that starts out looking like this is a very good start!



 If sweets were rated...this would be like rated XXX...looks like it might be a kid thing but do not be fooled, this is all out MAMAS ONLY!!  Like, invite the girls over and have some fun!





Although.....this may happen if you leave your pan unattended near a two year old!....she likes to break the rules....where did she get that from anyways??!!






Thought it was really cool how these little marshmallows puffed up in the oven....I had no idea!



Ok, I really did share with my daughter....how could I resist??  She's actually my official taste tester....mama's baking side kick!



TA-DA!!!!  What do ya think??!  Dream worthy????

**CAUTION  CAUTION** :  Lots of opportunity to get burned with this one...please be careful.  And do you see that wonderful caramel dripping down these little brownie cups???  Please....when you make that caramel and see it all melty and warm and bubbly, DO NOT get all animal-istic on me and lick your stirring spoon...really, you will lose a layer of taste buds...don't say I didn't warn you!!  Hey sister....don't go pointing any fingers, you would've too if I didn't warn you!


Hear of Darkness Brownies
From Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey by Jill O'Connor 

1 1/2 Cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking bars
2 1/4 Cups granulated sugar
1 Cup firmly packed light brown sugar
6 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup chopped pecans (optional but suggested)
1 Cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional depending on your level of chocolate love)
5 full size (2.07 oz. each) snickers bars, cut into small chunks
3 Cups mini marshmallows

Caramel:
6 oz.(about 25) unwrapped caramel candies (or I found little caramel balls in the baking isle)
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray standard muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray...be careful not to spray too much or your baked goods will be soggy.  

Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together (but them both into smaller pieces, helps them melt easier) in small saucepan over medium low heat and stir until smooth.  Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl and stir in the sugars, eggs and vanilla.  Sift the flour and salt into the chocolate mixture and stir just until combined.  Stir in the chopped nuts, chocolate chips and candy bar.

Fill each cupcake cup halfway with batter. Bake until the surface of the brownies are glossy and starting to crack a little, about 20-22 min. remove from the oven.

**And just because I like you and want you to experience all life has to offer....I'm going add a little something special for you....take some of your little caramels and shove 'em down inside the top of these bad boys (why do I keep calling everything "bad boys" this week??)  Strange!**

 Top each one with 1/4 cup of mini marshmallows.  Return the brownies to the oven and cook just until the marshmallows start to melt and puff up a bit, but not browned too much...about 3 min. or so.  If you cook then too much they'll melt and be kind of flat over the top of the brownie (still taste fine).  Transfer to a wire rack to cool just enough to handle, then to remove from the cupcake cups, run a knife around the edge of each brownie to loosen it from the cup.  Let cool completely on the wire rack.

While the brownies are cooling make the caramel drizzle:  Combine the caramels, cream , vanilla and salt in a microwave safe bowl.  microwave, uncovered on high for one min.  Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth.  If the caramels are not completely melted, continue heating in 30 sec. increments, stirring until smooth.

Drizzle the brownies with melted caramel and let cool completely.  Do not chill.  Serve immediately or store in air tight container.  If eaten later throw them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up...so much better!


1 comment:

  1. Whoa!!! These look dangerous :)...wish I could stop by for a visit and have a brownie with you and your daughter, but since I can't, I got to know you a little bit by looking over your blog...appreciate your 'First Things First' post!
    I'm your newest follower, hope you can stop by for a visit on my blog and follow me if you like.

    Thanks, Becky Jane
    myelevenreasons@gmail.com
    Raising kids can be a lot like weeding the rose bed...well worth it, but...OUCH!
    http://myelevenreasons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete