Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Exercise vs. sweets



So I've decided I need some routine physical activity (really not sure what I was thinking) so I've taken up jogging....got the shoes, got the stroller and the cute little pants...even got my husband all hyped up!  I have to admit, this is the first time I've done anything like this in about 7 years.  So I'm brought back to the good ol' high shool days...gym class...running the ever dreaded mile!!  ugh! I block out those memories...really!  Anyone who knows me, doesn't exactly link my name with physical activity, no!  I'm much happier on the side lines eating a cookie :)  




So, this will be day number 6!  Not bad huh?  Day 1 & 2: totally pumped!  Day 3: Got up at 6am to jog despite the gloomy rainy weather. Day 4:  I'm losing it!  I sluggishly walked while my still pumped husband ran ahead!  Day 5:  ok, I'll go...only to be supportive and encouraging to my husband.  And here we are, day 6!  And what does day six bring....two sweet treats in one day!  And now, it's past noon and still no physical activity yet.  mmmm...not really sure how my baking routine and workout routine are really gona mesh....




So I started out making a lovely lemon berry tart, which was quite tasty and looked very pretty.  Until...I cut it...  then....my insides spilled everywhere.  Apparently my curd wasn't quite what it needed to be.  SO....
  



I decided I'd then go back to a chocolate almond biscotti that I have tried to make several times.  I LOVE the flavor of these...kind of addicting, which is why I keep trying. They are so incredibly easy too but we start out going strong until I have to cut it into those long biscotti slices...they crumble!  But they taste sooo good!  So, as us moms often do...I decided to improvise...I CAN and I WILL make this work somehow!  So I decided to go with not so biscotti looking cookies and make regular looking cookies that I knew would taste just as good!  Hey...works for me!




So  here we are...not so biscotti looking, biscotti cookies.  The flavors of the almond and chocolate are so good!  Just enough of both...YUM!  Did I mention how super easy these are??!



Something like Biscotti cookies

1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter-room temperature
1 1/4 Cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1/4 Cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Cup sliced or chopped almonds

Heat oven 350 degrees.  Beat butter and sugar until blended.  Add eggs and almond extract; beat well.  In separate bowl stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture.  Beat until smooth.  Dough will be thick.  Stir in almonds with wooden spoon.

Form small balls of dough and place on non-stick baking sheet.  Flatten balls with the palm of your hand.  Bake for about 20-22 minutes.  They will still be slightly soft.  Let cool a few minutes on pan then cool completely on colling wrack.

Optional: melt white chocolate chips and drizzle over cooled cookies.


p.s. I'll probably make the cookies a little smaller next time than I did in the pictures :)

1 comment:

  1. They look so amazing!
    New follower
    http://adventuresofaminnesotamom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete