Friday, July 23, 2010

Cobbler!

I've been really excited lately about baking with fruit!  I've never made cobbler but it's one of my husbands favorites and....it contains fruit, so I thought it was a great idea!  Believe it or not...never had cobbler, never seen cobbler, wan't sure I even liked cobbler!  Guess what...I DO!



Aren't these nectarines BEAUTIFUL!!  I wish you could just smell them...they were perfect....not too firm, not to soft and you could smell them throughout the kitchen....I was already in heaven!  I hope you find some pretty ones too :)  






I had no idea how many variations of cobbler I would find...so instead of picking just one (I'm not so good at choices) I chose two.  Love Love Love this nectarine cobbler....not a typical cobbler but it was so yummy!




There were all kinds of little surprises in this one, like, the above picture, you're not sure what's goin' on at this point but you go with it anyways....



And it's starts to come together...looking a little more like it should.....



And then you get this.....can I just tell you....this little crunch thing we have going on here on the top is AMAZING!  It might look like a soft bread like layer....it's not...well it is, but it's crunchy too...it's just enough of both!  I love anything that has a little crunch.  


You can't see the steam coming off but I didn't waste any time scooping this out!  Pretty much burned my mouth :)  The butter crunch with the soft nectarines....did I mention is was so good?!  But, if you're not crazy about nectarines you can substitute it with blueberry, cherry....even thinking I might make an apple one today!  Because I don't have enough cobbler in my house at the moment!



Nectarine and Cream Cobbler
(found on The Pastry Queen)

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of nutmeg

3/4 cup milk (i used whipping cream...to me, fattier is always better haha)

3 cups sliced nectarines, skins left on (careful not to slice too thin so you don't just have mush when baked)

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan; set over medium high heat until the butter starts to bubble (top layer kinda looks foamy) and turns a nut brown color.  Move the pan around a little every once in a while so the butter is not sitting still.  WATCH THE BUTTER CLOSELY!  It will go from a good brown to burnt brown SUPER fast!  You'll know if it starts to burn, you'll be able to smell it.  It will have little browned bits in it....that's a good thing.

Pour the butter into a square baking dish.

In a medium bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and spices.  Add the milk and stir.

Pour the mixture on top of the melted butter.  Don't just pour it in the middle like I did in the picture above...kinda pour it all around so the butter distributes around the whole thing.  As tempting as it is...DO NOT STIR!  Without mixing it up, arrange the fruit evenly over the batter.  Sprinkle it with the brown sugar.

Bake for about 35-45 minutes....I would say check it at 30 minutes, mine was pretty well browned at that point.  Bake until golden.  You'll see, all the goodness on the bottom makes it's way to the top and forms an amazing crunchy layer.  Serve warm with whip cream or ice cream....YUM!

3 comments:

  1. Alright, I need to go to the store and get some supplies, hopefully tonight. Just wanted to say though, that you can really take some pictures! I dont know what it is. Like the way the fork is sitting upside down on the plate or the positioning of the baking dish. I dont know if you ment to do all of that , but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! And it turned out soooo scrumptious! I was freaking out when I was melting the butter. The foam was covering up the color of the butter and I couldnt tell if it was yellow or brown. My daughter actually helped me make it and it made that so much more fun! Although mine didnt have any crunch. More squish than crunch but still very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you guys had fun together! As much as it's nice to get 'mommy time' it really is fun to bake with the munchkins...good bonding time :)

    ReplyDelete