Friday, July 23, 2010

Cobbler! #2


So here's the second cobbler I made....more of a traditional recipe with the dough dropped on top.  So if you're a little more into cherries than nectarines, give this a try.



I've never pitted cherries before....honestly, I don't think I EVER will again!!!  Why can't I be the person that goes and buys a can of cherries??!  I insist on making everything so difficult!



It took FOREVER!!!  AND my hands were stained and still are the next day....why didn't anyone warn me about this deathly horrible process?!  (yes, I am slightly dramatic...runs in the family)


****side note....this is the sweet little frog my husband came to show me while I was pitting these stupid things!  Isn't he the cutest???!!


As I was sitting in my daughter's dance class last night...it hits me...even through the migraine producing noise of tap shoes...tap, tap, tap....how wonderful is the combination of cherry and almond??  And then, the regret of not adding almond extract to this pretty little dish....so to save you from the same disappointment, I included almond to the recipe....do with it what you will!


Cherry Almond Cobbler
found on foodnetwork.com and tweaked by ME

Filling:
6 cups tart red cherries, pitted-about 2 1/2 lbs
1- 1 1/4 cup sugar (start with 1 C. and add to taste)
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 Tablespoons butter

Topping:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 400 F.  In saucepan, combine sugar (I started with 1 cup and added more later to taste) water and cornstarch.  Cook until combined, add cherries. (after a few minutes taste and add more sugar if needed)  Stir until thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and stir in almond extract and butter.  Pour into square baking dish.

In mixing bowl stir together flour, sugars, baking powder and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  In separate bowl, mix together milk and egg.  Add to flour mixture and stir with fork just until combined....don't over mix.  Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of filling.  Bake about 20-25 minutes until browned and bubbly.



No comments:

Post a Comment